The ABMDR was founded in 1999 as an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit organization, whose mission is to ensure that every ethnic Armenian struck with a life threatening blood-related illness is able to find hope for long-term survival through the identification of a genetically suitable bone marrow match.
The ABMDR is a member of the World Marrow Donor Association (WMDA) and Bone Marrow Donor Worldwide (BMDW) sharing its database information with other registries around the world. In January 2008, ABMDR became a member of National Marrow Donor Program – NMDP.
Our mission is to save lives by recruiting and providing matched unrelated donors for bone marrow or stem cell transplantation to all Armenian and non-Armenian patients worldwide who are suffering from leukemia and other life-threatening blood related illnesses. Due to the unique genetic make-up of Armenians, it is nearly impossible to find suitable matches among the existing international registries. Hence the importance of establishing a registry that would help facilitate recruiting and identifying matched unrelated bone marrow donors for ethnic Armenians.
Only 25% of patients inflicted with leukemia or other life-threatening blood disorders find donors within their families. The other 75% of patients’ lives depend on finding a perfectly matched unrelated donor.
- Create and maintain the registry and data bank of information Armenian donors.
- Increase the size of the registry
- Coordinate and process patient search requests and provide marrow or stem cell matching services for potential bone marrow transplant recipients.
- Raise funds to type all donor samples
- Educate Armenian families worldwide
- Expand into new countries with sizable Armenian communities
· Every year, thousands of patients are diagnosed with leukemia and other life-threatening blood diseases. On any given day, more than 6000 patients worldwide are searching for a donor. Only 25-30% of patients stricken with leukemia and other blood-related diseases can find a match within their family, the other 70-75% of the patients depend on the stem cell donation of a complete stranger to save their lives. Recent advances in transplantation technology that use peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) collection—a safe and non-invasive way of collecting life saving stem cells from a donor–has given patients hope, and has saved thousands of patients.
How can You Help ?
Be a donor. To date, the registry has recruited over 22,000 donors. Finding a match depends on inherited characteristics. Therefore, a patient’s best chance, outside of his/her family, is a donor from the same ethnic ancestry. Unfortunately thousands of patients die each year because they are not able to find a match. When you register to become a donor, you may be the ONE who marches a patient and saves a life. To register as a donor: You have to be between the ages of 18 and 50, and in good general health. You will fill out a short form with your contact information and a brief medical history. You will give us a tissue sample (a few swabs from the inside of your cheek). You’re done! We will analyze your sample, determine your tissue type, and file this away with your contact information into our computer. This information will remain there till you reach the age of 55. You are now a registered ABMDR donor.
Armenian Bone Marrow Donor Registry Charitable Trust - EFI accredited HLA Typing Laboratory 7 H. Nersisyan str. 0014 Yerevan
- blog home
- Inspirational Quotes
- Interesting facts
- smile, smile, smile
- my new hobby
- Barev 2012
- christmas mood
- hihihihohohohahaha kurikurikuri kakaka
- lots of smile
- nice people
- strange facts
- sweet home